Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Reflecting on life, friendships, love and childen lost & children to come

I thought that things would slow down a bit once summer break started, but I was wrong. The past week was more busy than usual; everything from graduation parties and BBQs to Shabbat dinners and emotional conversations. A friend & I had a misunderstanding that had to be straightened out. Somebody I know had a miscarriage and another person I know just found out she is pregnant. Both of them confided in me. I feel honored and happy to receive their confidence, and I am offering both of them any assistance they desire. I feel terribly sad AND incredibly happy.

I have realized that I am not used to this kind of emotional compilation. Not that things don’t happen in my life and around me, but these events combined with the intimate confidence they carried have led me to appreciate my life and what I have. I am thankful every day for the friendships I have, my family, the children I’ve given birth to and the Husband I love. I enjoy spending my life with the Husband, the prospect of having more children excites me, as does the fact that the relationships I have with my friends are growing stronger & more intimate every day. We have also recently made new friends, and especially the Husband who is not easily inspired in this regard, seems enthusiastic.

It sounds so tacky when you hear it, but sharing your friends' joy and sorrow really is double the joy and half the sorrow. To feel sad for one friend and happy for another adds a richness to life that is indescribable (although I'm sure Kant or some other German idealist probably has anyway; described the richness, that is), and the emotional compilations add to life appreciation, vividness and magnificence.


By Lovain

No comments: