Thursday, July 27, 2006

Belgian beer culture and my children's drinking limit

After work tomorrow we are going out for a beer. TSince we had the kids, the Husband & I don’t go out as much as we used to, although here in Belgium people do bring their children for after-work drinks and other such activities, so it does happen. All of the parties we go to are also open for children, and there is of course always alcohol served; beer mainly. The children often want to taste “can I have a sip of your beer?” and the parents let their children have a try. Eventually you have to tell your children “no, no more”. You know you’ve been in Belgium too long when your children, not are not allowed to drink, but have a limit for how much they’re allowed to drink.

By Lovain

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is what scares me:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/07/04/health/04teen.html?ex=1309665600&en=1d4650005c817940&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss

We have to keep kids away from alcohol until they're much older now? How exactly are we going to do that? I'm an American living with my wife and daughter (2 yrs old) in Cologne and this culture probably won't even recognize this study as valid until my daughter is into her 30's. I hope she listens to me better than I did to my parents. (Sigh)