Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Wreckless biking

It rained all night and everything was wet this morning, including the cobblestoned streets of Leuven. Old cobble stone is slick and old wet cobblestone is extraordinarily slippery. Going down a steep hill to the left of St. Anthony's chapel on my way to work this morning I should have considered this, but I was late and wanted to get to work fast, so I stayed on my bike. I slid a couple of times but defiantly stayed on my bike until the very end of the hill where the steepness cumulated. Here my descent dramatically turned into an uncontrollable side-slide resulting in my landing flat on my stomach, catching myself with my hands and knees. Billy Joel was brutally silenced (I had my mp3-player around my neck) as the pain registered in my brain.

I limped the rest of the way to work, leading my now chainless bike, and arrived in my torn muddy formerly-white jacket with scraped-up bleeding palms and knees atrociously late.


By Lovain

No comments: