Wednesday, April 19, 2006

I have bi(tri)lingual children


The Easter bunny broght 2 little Batman dolls for the boys. The older one had just parted with a previous version that after intensive play finally gave in - legs & arms were broken off – and it had to be thrown away. He was very happy to receive a new one, and the younger one was overwhelmed at having received his very own Batman doll. When the boys after 2 weeks of Easter break returned to school yesterday, the older one explained this entire Easter bunny-Batman story in perfect Dutch to the younger one’s teacher, “Tante Isabel” as they call her. It’s not a surprize to me that he speaks Dutch. This is his 2nd year in school and his teacher has told me that he has no trouble keeping up. It’s just that I never really heard him speak Dutch before. To hear my little 4 year old expressing himself flawlessly in a foreign language; a language that took me a couple of years to learn, truly amazed me. The mind of children is indeed fascinating.

By Lovain

No comments: