Thursday, April 20, 2006

Theoretical time of departure

On my way to work, I walk under the train station, and I always pass the big board for the bus departures and arrivals. Today it struck me, and I’ve noticed it a million times before but was never struck by it, that each departure time has a little star next to it 09:35* and if you look at the bottom of the board, it says *=theoretical time of departure. It really is quite typical Belgium. Everybody realizes that delays might, from time to time, occur when it comes to busses, but here they feel the need to dodge, in permanent ink, any potential complaint - every day, all the time. I rarely go by bus, but for commuters it must be frustrating to leave your safe arrival at work every morning in the hands of theoretical times of departures. Or perhaps then you also get a little star in your work contract Start of working day: 09:00*? And in a footnote *=theoretical start of working day.

By Lovain

No comments: