Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Organizing your life: it's not rocket surgery!

What is it exactly in the male brain that is missing? Why are men worse than women when it comes to advanced planning and coordination? Our family wakes up around 7 every morning. The Husband had 4 things to do today: the dishes, a quick shopping, pick up the boys and feed them, and his work. I called him about ½ hour before he had to go pick up the boys to ask him if he remembered to buy brown bags and what met me was an unorganized array of information.

“So you didn’t go shopping?”
“No, not yet - I’ve been working! And now I have this translation I have to finish before my meeting tonight. I have to go get the boys AND I haven’t done the dishes yet.”
“What?!”

The Husband hence had to go pick up the boys and let them come with him to the store, which meant shopping took about double the amount of time. After the shopping there wasn’t enough time to prepare a proper dinner, the Husband somehow had to do the dishes while entertaining and feeding 2 hungry boys, and the translation… Well. Granted, the Husband is a brilliant Kant scholar and I’m sure he got great work done on his thesis today, something that’s really important. But still, wouldn’t better organization improve even further?

I would have done the dishes this morning (or even last night), picked up groceries on my way home from taking the boys to school, worked on my translation until it was done, then moved on to other work until it was time to get the boys, fed the latter an easy dinner bought at the store, and voila; all done. As the headline Jay Leno read out loud the other night stated “it’s not rocket surgery!”

By Lovain

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This happens at my house too. One question - does the Husband read this?

Jenni said...

Yes, the Husband occasionally reads my blog.