Sunday, April 15, 2007

Are we moving to Cairo? What do you think?

For as long as we have been together, the reason for our stay here in Belgium and our focus has been to finish the husband's doctorate so that he could get a good academic job in the U.S. We've never intended on staying in Belgium. The husband's career has been the director of our life, and along with it we have, all this time, been expecting and anticipating the final move and our settling down; buy a house, a car, enroll the boys in a school in a middle-sized town in America, and finally build our American life.

In a shockful state I now find myself trying to decide whether or not we really want to move; leave the safe Belgian social security system, leave my new fantastic and well-paid job, leave our nice rented house in the quiet suburd of Leuven, leave friends and familiar places, the children's school and our life as we know it, and move to Cairo, Egypt; not the U.S. but yes, to a muslim country in northern Africa.

The offer is nice, the community seems nice, and the experience would be nice; yet I keep thinking "what are we doing?!" Any ideas or reflections you might have in relation to an important decision like this are more than welcome!

By Lovain

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Egypt? Wow, that's a leap. Do you have concerns about being targetted as a European in Egypt?

Jenni said...

I'm not really concerned at all actually; f I was, I wouldn't even consider bringing my children to Egypt. My family is, however, and my mother in particular - not so concerned about us being targetted as Europeans but being targetted as Americans. In general, I have the impression that Swedes are fairly popular in areas like this.