Thursday, October 05, 2006

Nobody is sick

While dropping off the boys at school this morning I ran into my friend Texas-born M. whom I had not seen for a couple of days, so I stopped for a minute and asked him how he’s doing. “All right” he said “busy” and then he added with happy but surprized and almost suspicious voice “nobody’s sick!”

Our kids (my 2 and his 2 = 4 in total) go to school every day and in school there are other kids carrying germs, potential colds, stomach flus and goodness knows. It seems like there’s always something going around, and last year they (and we) were sick several times.

Apart from the discomfort any infirmity brings to the family and the sick child in particular; since the Husband and Texas-born M. are finishing their doctorates, they’re not officially employed by anyone and hence should one of the kids get sick, they are the ones to stay at home with the sick child, loosing days of work. A simple three-day cold could mean up to 15 pages of thesis work lost, and at this pressing stage of the thesis writing, it’s an unkind loss.

For now however, nobody’s sick. Knock, knock.


By Lovain

1 comment:

Joshua said...

It's funny you discuss this. Because I just spent the last 2 days reeling from a stomach bug. I hate those things and I kind of brought me into the dumps. I kept telling myself, "well at least I don't have kids to take care of while I'm this sick - I can just stay in bed and sleep." I feel for sick parents who still need to get up and care for children. At any rate, I'm Josh and I found you through a link on Swede & Czech's blog.

Cheers