Friday, February 24, 2006

Why is there always a child that is left out?

Today the boys were expected to come dressed up to school for a carnival party. When I dropped off my Batman and Superman in the front school yard, all the kids were running around as pirates and princesses, and you could tell there was excitement in the air. Every child that walked into the school yard got an “ooooh” or an “aaahhh” from the greeting teachers. There was one boy however who didn't have a costume on. He came up to me and showed me his t-shirt that had a picture of a race-car on it, as if to say "look, I also have something" but you could tell that he was quite conscious of the fact that he was the only one without a costume. I've noticed that he sometimes doesn't wear the special clothes or bring the special things the kids have been asked to bring to school, but the carnival party is a big deal so I suppose I expected him to not have been forgotten this time. I told him I thought his race-car t-shirt was really awesome and gave him a hug. His teacher will probably provide him with a mask or even an outfit, but it probably still won’t make up for the loss of the moment of entrance to an “ooooh” or an “aaahhh”. It broke my heart.

No comments: